Harvest Salad with Sprouted Farro & Maple Balsamic Dressing
If fall was a salad, here it is! This Harvest Salad with Sprouted Farro is bursting with warm flavours, and makes use of some wonderful seasonal fruits and veggies. It also has an incredible mix of textures with soft roasted butternut squash and red pepper, crisp apple, chewy sprouted farro and dried cranberries, plus crunchy sprouted chickpeas and pumpkin seeds. It’s all topped off with a tangy balsamic with just a hint of maple. It’s packed with so much flavour and nutrition, it’s sure to be your new autumn favourite.
Sprouting improves taste and texture, reduces cook time, and aids in digestibility and bioavailability. Sprouted farro has a wonderful hearty, chewy texture and nutty taste. And because sprouted chickpeas have already been soaked during the sprouting process, no pre-soaking is required.
ingredient tips & substitutions
- If you don’t have butternut squash, sweet potato would work wonderfully too
- Use any mild tasting apple that you have available
- You could swap the spinach for kale or lettuce if you prefer
- Pecans or walnuts would be a great alternative to pumpkin seeds
You can find the recipe for crispy roasted chickpeas in our sprouted chickpea cooking guide. If roasting at the same time as the vegetables, use a separate pan. The chickpeas won’t get as crispy if they pick up moisture from the vegetables.
This recipe is naturally vegan. Please note that sprouted farro does contain gluten.
This salad is best enjoyed immediately. If making ahead of time, we suggest storing ingredients in separate containers and combining when ready to eat.
Harvest Salad with Sprouted Farro and Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
What You'll Need:
- 1 cup Second Spring Organic Sprouted Farro (dry)
- 1 cup roasted Sprouted Chickpeas*
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 red pepper
- 1 medium sized apple
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smooth dijon mustard
How To Make It:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Chop butternut squash into small cubes and combine with paprika, cinnamon and approximately ¾ of the tbsp of oil. Slice the red pepper and toss with the remaining oil. Place butternut squash and red pepper with the skins facing down on a baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping the butternut squash halfway.
- While vegetables are in the oven, cook the Organic Sprouted Farro according to the package directions.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Slice the apple. Once the sprouted farro is cooked, rinse thoroughly under cold water. Remove vegetables from the oven and allow to cool.
- To assemble the salad, place spinach in a bowl and top with grain, vegetables and apple. Sprinkle cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and roasted chickpeas on top and drizzle the dressing.
Have you made this recipe? Tag @secondspringfoods on Instagram!