Sprouted Chickpea Flatbread
This sprouted chickpea flatbread is simple, quick, delicious and ready for all your favourite toppings! The base is made with earthy, nutty, cheesy, and naturally gluten-free sprouted chickpea flour. We paired it with garlic and herbs for a super flavourful crust. It’s crispy on the bottom and edges, and slightly soft in the center, but still sturdy enough to pick up. Sprouted chickpea flour is high in protein, fibre and iron, so it also packs a great nutritional punch. Sprouting chickpeas improves their taste and texture, and aids in digestibility and bioavailability. This sprouted chickpea flatbread would make a wonderful appetizer, lunch or pair with a salad for dinner. We chose red and green toppings for a bit of extra festive flair!
ingredient tips & substitutions
- Garlic and Italian Seasoning – We love this garlic and herb combo with the sprouted chickpea flour, but feel free to swap these out for 1 tsp of your favourite spices or seasonings.
- Olive Oil – Any neutral oil will also work.
- Toppings – We opted for a pesto base with spinach, tomato, red onions and parmesan and asiago cheeses, but any of your favourite toppings will work here. Try caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, goat cheese, sausage, pepperoni, chicken, you name it!
- Allowing the dough to rest for 10 minutes at room temperature allows the sprouted chickpea flour to absorb some moisture and makes it easier to roll.
- If you don’t have a rolling pin, a large drinking glass or round jar (or even an empty wine bottle) can work too.
- Rolling from the center outward in every direction will help keep the dough an even thickness.
- As you roll the dough, push the cracks firmly back together or they will crack further as it bakes. A few cracks right at the edges are okay for a rustic look, but they should be less than an inch.
- Allowing the flatbread to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting allows the crust to firm up a bit more. If you cut it too soon the crust may crack.
Sprouted Chickpea Flatbread
What You'll Need:
- 1 cup Second Spring Sprouted Chickpea Flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3½ tbsp water
How To Make It:
- In a large bowl, combine sprouted chickpea flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Drizzle olive oil and water overtop of the flour. Mix with a fork until a crumbly dough forms. With your hands, bring the dough together into a ball and knead for a minute or two. The dough should be soft and pliable, similar to play dough. Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375°F. You can also begin to chop/prepare your desired toppings.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and roll into a rustic oval or rectangular shape about 12" long and and 9" wide. Press any cracks back together with your fingers as you roll.
- Pre-bake the flatbread for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and add your desired toppings. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, until the edges are golden and the toppings are cooked. Allow to cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Have you made this recipe? Tag @secondspringfoods on Instagram!